Sunday, August 22, 2010

Diary of a Weary Nursing Momma

I'm convinced we have mutant children. All 3 of them. The baby is the last one in a line of children who just don't sleep well. He's like a little hungry caterpillar. He "munches" all night long. I would love to attribute it to a growth spurt but in an effort to be honest with myself I have to admit he is just as bad a sleeper as his older brother and his brother before him. I thought we were getting somewhere with the whole sleeping through the night thing. Turns out he's not in such a hurry to give up those quiet, middle of the night feedings. It's funny how that's the first thing you ask someone when they have a baby. "So, how's he sleeping for you?" or "Is he sleeping through the night, yet?" or my personal favorite, "Are you getting any sleep?". If it weren't for my dear, sweet husband getting up before the sun with the other boys when they wake up, I'd be up the proverbial creek without a paddle. I've never been much of a "night" person. I've always gone to bed fairly early and woken up with the chickens but being up all night AND waking up with the chickens is for the birds. Har har.

But, although being awake off and on all night makes me grumpy and weary, I might just be as reluctant to give up those times as he is. This is my last baby. That thought whispers at the back of my mind each night as I stumble into his room for a feeding. As I sit in the rocker and breathe in his sweet scent I can't help but be thankful for that time with him. It's just us. No brothers distracting him by kissing his head. No noise or lights. It's just us in the cool, dark quiet of his room. When he snuggles into me and sighs I know that no matter how tired I am I should enjoy these moments. Soon he won't need me in that way. He will be sleeping peacefully all night long and when daylight comes he'll be a whirling tornado of energy, much like his brothers before him. So, I vow I will enjoy those quiet times with my little mutant. There will be plenty of time to sleep when my children are grown and being awakened by children of their own!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I read this after totally having a moment of yearning to nurse Violet this weekend. We were all snuggled up on the couch and I totally felt that I should have been nursing her... The time goes far too quickly...

    ReplyDelete